Monday, February 7, 2011

On Drive

On my recent trip to Arizona and in preparation for Mexico I picked up a couple of books for travel and leisure reading. I'm excited to read Listen to This by Alex Ross while at the beach, but for some reason on the plane to and from AZ, I found myself drawn to the Shibumi Strategy by Matthew May and Drive by Daniel Pink. Now, I've blogged about May and Pink before. I like them both very much as authors and I have to say I'm a bit obsessed with whatever genre of writing they fall under. Mary called it "contemporary nonfiction and social commentary," which I'll buy. You know, the Malcolm Gladwell type with a bit of self-help mixed in. For me, they are extended articles and for some reason that keeps my attention.





Drive is a book about what motivates us and as someone who is interested in pursuing that which motivates me, I'm loving this book. Of course much of it is common sense, but when you really think about it plain terms and consider how you can motivate others as well as yourself, finding that which is intrinsic is key. Pink talks about that and gives some simple ideas on considering practical implications for your own life. I think if you're on a plane i the new future, I recommend giving this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment