Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On Kombucha

So, let me start off by saying this drink is not for everyone and I'm perfectly aware that some woud consider it an acquired taste. But, that being said, I'm really into Kombucha. I've been trying it off and on for a while, but recently I picked up a few bottles at Whole Foods and have taken to drinking it regularly. I do notice positive results... digestively speaking.



Here's what Wiki says about this funny tasting tea:

Kombucha is a fermented tea that is often drunk for medicinal purposes. There is limited scientific information supporting any health benefit and few studies are being conducted, although there are several centuries of anecdotal accounts supporting some of the health benefits attributed to the tea. Kombucha is available commercially and can be made at home by fermenting tea using a visible, solid mass of yeast and bacteria which forms the kombucha culture which is often referred to as the "mushroom" or the "mother".

Kind weird, right? But, I think it no weirder than eating yogurt and I happily do that for similar reasons.

The funny thing about Kombucha is that it was removed from the shelves of a lot of stores recently due to reports that some bottles had "elevated alcohol levels." Ha! But, apparently those "elevated levels" have been removed and we're back.

Give it a try. You might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment