Wednesday, October 13, 2010

On My First Apple Pie

On Saturday, I intended with some friends to go apple picking. Well, apple picking is actually oooover for the season. How disappointing is that? I swear that it was this time two years ago we went, but apparently the season ended a bit early this year so we opted for a pumpkin farm instead.

This was a flop. Well, not entirely. I got to spend quality time with people I love, but it was nearly 90 degrees (!) and the place was packed with the best of suburbia. So, I took a quick trip around the apple part of the market only to feel like I could have just gone to Dominicks to pick up my desired granny smith apples. But, alas, I got the apples and I called my mother to get her apple pie recipe. This was my goal, to mimic my mother's apple pie.

Sunday, I gave it a go. The key to this pie is the crust, something I've never done before. Without going into detail, I kind of failed. I don't know where I went wrong, but the crust was not as I had remembered. I'm fairly certain this did not have to do with the recipe and more to do with me.






The apple part of the pie is killer. Super tasty and delightful, but the crust deserves a second go. I will try again and report the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment