Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On Voting

I've been thinking a lot recently about voting in this mid term election. This humorously came to a culmination last night as I was nearly impaled by a political sign flying in the enormous gusts of wind we are currently having in Chicago. I tweeted earlier yesterday evening that it seemed metaphoric and humorous that the signs were blowing through the air in the midst of this crazy weather. Later that evening I was almost killed by one! I will chalk that up to coincidence, but it did make me snicker.

Listen, I'm not big into politics right now. I think part of me still feels exhausted from 2008 when the Obama elections reached epic political proportions. That being said, if one lives in the United States and is an active participant in society, one cannot miss the advertisements and anger that seems to flowing freely. The anger is because there is much a stake.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. That is what I can say for where we stand right now. I think about the many privileges I have and the many I still don't have. I say that understanding that I have so many more than others throughout the world. But, call me greedy. I want it all! Because of this, I am taking the opportunity to tap into optimism and vote accordingly. This, I can do... whether I feel like it or not.

So, if you were considering not doing so, might I encourage you to find your polling place? I'll be doing the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment