Thursday, December 2, 2010

On Best Coast and Kanye West

I'd like to just share with you what has been playing nonstop on my iTunes for the last longer than few days. Things are quiet around the office, so my ears are getting a lot of musical attention.

First off, Best Coast was introduced to me by my consistently in-the-know friend Jessica. She put it on a mix for Mr. Scott and we've been jamming to it since. Shortly after I picked up the whole album and also heard a sweet little interview on Sound Opinions. They described Best Coast's sound as "a unique combination of shoegaze rock and ‘60s throwback harmonies reminiscent of the Beach Boys and the Mamas and the Papas." So, pretty much sweet and simple and retro and now! I'd recommend taking a listen.



Now let's move on to the irritation/creativity that is Kanye West. The NYTimes did what I thought to be a intelligent profile of Mr. West before the release of his most recent album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy." I couldn't have said it better, so I'll leave you to read that. But, let me put things in more simple terms. Kanye drives me nuts. He actually drives me nuts in a similar way to Kate Gosselin and Sarah Palin. I know, I know... that's not fair, but I find myself having the same reaction when I see any of the three. "Why are you so needy!? Why do we keep giving!?"

But, unlike Ms. Palin and Gosselin, Kanye actually has something to offer... a creative take on popular music. "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is no exception. This album really is all it is cracked up to be... and I was hesitant! I hated 808 & Heartbreak and although I thought his film "Runaway" was pretty (and superfluous) (and I wish he'd stop wearing crowns), the bottom line is, no one else is doing this stuff and for the most part, it's good.





So, it's been blowin' up my iTunes and I'm pretty sure it will be for a while. Of particular note is the song "Lost in the World." It has been on repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment