Wednesday, April 21, 2010

On Speaking with Authority

After a lovely weekend away, I returned to Chicago with a flurry of business like tasks to complete. Some music related, some friend related, and some work related. It's amazing what a shock to the system getting back into the swing of things after being gone can be, but that is what modern life requires of us. We are to move quickly and be flexible and be all things in all situations.

One of my tasks upon return was a presentation yesterday, given to the Associate Deans at my University. The presentation was essentially an awareness piece about new and social media as it relates to our current students. It was inspired by my observation that our marketing and communications department is pushing heavily in the realm of social media, while our academic departments have barely gotten their toes wet. Therefore, the student may have one experience before entering college and then have a completely different experience once they arrive. It is potentially false advertising.

I don't know much about social media. Well, let me say, I don't know much more than most of you. What we know? We've learned by doing it and the truth of the matter is I am just on the cusp of being too old to have lived with social media for very long but I am also close enough to the age group that knows nothing else, so I feel the pressure to be in with it. I also feel compelled to stay on top of this sort of thing, because we all know that if we fall behind it can be hard to catch up. Why not stay in the know so I don't have to work too hard to know. It is actually laziness that propels me, but that is another blog topic...

So here's the thing: I don't know all that much about this, but I know enough to talk with authority and sound like I know what I'm talking about and I've come to realize in life that this sort of communication will get you far! It reminds me that in performance, a lousy musician can perform with much conviction and potentially draw people in, whilst an amazing talent can be lack luster and have the opposite effect.

Now, it is not my intention to ever talk out of my ass. I do my homework. I read enough to know a little bit about quite a lot, so this isn't necessarily the blind leading the blind, but in the land of the new (things like new and social media) who are the experts? Do we know? For now, these persons in positions of power at my institution think I might be, so... I'm happy to let them! I'll keep reading. I'll keep learning. I'll stand up in front of them and speak with authority until my cover is blown. We'll see how far I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment