Monday, April 5, 2010

On my Tax Season

Scott calls my busy singing times my "Tax Season" which seems incredibly appropriate.

This last week was such, as I was singing straight from Wednesday evening until Sunday morning. As it was holy week, the churches were hiring and the opportunities to make music were plenty. On Thursday I managed to get in two services, Friday I sang a marathon four! and Saturday and Sunday I followed up with two more. To say I was exhausted yesterday afternoon was a real understatement, but overall I felt pleased by the experience.

The truth of the matter is, it is a privilege to participate in other people's religious experiences. I think many musicians who are employed to do sacred music often find the experience cumbersome, and to say that I don't would not be true. But, I also find great joy in experiencing the different ways people worship, particularly Christians around this Holy Week, because it is so different from my experience and so unique everywhere you go.

Here is an iPhone pic I snapped while at St. Peter's in the Loop on Saturday evening.




It's quite incredible the decorations that they had up. I think from the top of the choir loft is a beautiful view.

So, when all is said and done, I am pretty whipped and rather "churched" out, but feeling both musically and spiritually rich. I suppose that means I wasn't taxed very heavily this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment