Wednesday, June 2, 2010

On Periodicals

If you know just a little bit about me, you may know that I'm a bit of a magazine junky. I do my best to limit my purchases and typically reserve major periodical purchases for trips where I will be spending significant time in transit and therefore actually read the mags thoroughly. But, regardless, I can hardly help myself from purchasing more mini books than any man could ever need.

I think my fascination with photography was what initially attracted me to the rags. It is one of the few places where you can regularly take in new and interesting images, often taken by contemporary art photographers.

As I got home from work last night I was looking through all the periodicals I had purchased in New York, wondering if I would ever be able to read them all, but the truth of the matter is, I don't care. I like having them. For me, they something about things are contemporary and their presence is a good reminder of that which is positively impermanent. They also look great on my coffee table and are good to take on the bus with me when opt for a non-bike-riding-day.

So what am I reading that I picked up in NYC? Well, here are a few of my favs.

Apartamento is pretty much exactly how I would want to make an interiors magazine. It is somewhat informal and candid, but beautifully shows warm and personal spaces with interesting stories. This magazine I feel like I can go back to over and over.






Monocle is hard to explain. It describes itself as "A briefing on global affairs, business, culture and design." It almost seems like a fleshed out New Yorker (which I recently subscribed too!) with a bit more consumerism. It is above all else, well designed with incredible writing. The aesthetic is very graphic.






Finally, Fantastic Man I have been smitten with since my first read. Not only is it designed beautifully, profiling men that I genuinely find fascinating (cover guy Wolfgang Tillmans!) but it is also super cheeky. It makes me laugh because it is the painfully self-aware written word of the modern dandy. It is one of the only periodicals I regularly read that seems fresh.






No comments:

Post a Comment