Friday, January 7, 2011

On Missing Buttons and Gold Safety Pins

I love this shirt.


I've blogged about it before, because I picked it up at the Salvation Army and was particularly fond of the plaid and the fact that the size was "medium tall." A size that I am but rarely find available. Well, shortly after the shirt got a couple of wears, the attractive little buttons that hold the collar down became loose and eventually made their way to the ground. I was disappointed by the loss and considered how I could continue to don the pink plaid. Sure, I could have taken it to the dry cleaner and had them come up with a replacement button, but the chances of matching this "vintage" shirt were slim, so I decided to take matters in my own hands.

Enter, Gold Safety Pins. At first, this seemed like a quick fix, but over time I've grown to rather like the look. In fact, the consideration has been made to do this to other shirts. It is a quirky DIY fix that has just enough panache to seem like a stylish decision. Would this work with silver pins? I think not. The gold ups the class (tack?) ante a bit and to my eye, silver is indeed a fix pin rather than a decision.

So, is there a shirt in your closet you're avoiding due to missing buttons? I think we both know how to fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment