Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On Io Sono L'Amore

At the recommendation of my dear friend Linsey, I took in and Italian film at the Gene Siskel Film Center as a part of the European Film Festival. Called Io Sono L'Amore, this film was significantly more than I had expected and pretty much wont get out of my head. Although the story was not unique, this movie was the ultimate Italian epic family drama. The impact was so overwhelming and cinematography was incredibly stunning. Any moment in the film could have been captured as a gallery worthy still image, with some clear references to photographers like Tina Barney, Elinor Carrucci and Laura Letinsky. As only the Italians can do, the emphasis on food, wine, family and sex was handled beautifully and skillfully. On top of this, it stars the incomparable Tilda Swinton who proves that she can be just as fabulous and skilled while speaking Italian as she is in all her other roles. Further, she manages to own clothes made by both Jil Sander and Fendi throughout, so she looks simply incredible.





If you're in a place where you have an opportunity to see this film, I cannot recommend it more highly. I can think of few films I've seen that were so skillfully and beautifully made.

No comments:

Post a Comment