Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On the Quilt my Grandmother made me

A few posts ago, I mentioned how I was reminded of a quilt that my grandmother made me before she passed away. I think most people in my family have a quilt like this, and for most of us few things could make our nostalgia more poignant. Actually, molasses cookies do it to me as well, but when I get into bed and under this quilt I am reminded of this incredible woman who used to regularly make people things with her hands as a gifts. What is funny , is that although I always understood what hard work it took to make a piece like this, only now do I really appreciate its beauty. I have to be completely honest, I don't know that my grandmother even thought this quilt was beautiful. I think quilts like this resulted from the WWI and WWII desire to not let anything go to waste. She would regularly use left over material scraps to make a number of things, but most commonly, quilts like this one.








There was no rhyme or reason to the pattern of the fabric, it was merely what she had available from other projects. But for some reason, now I understand why this sort of gift is timeless and very now. The patterns, the colors, the faded fabrics... It is one of the more beautiful things I own. Most importantly, it is mine and it was given to me by an amazing woman who gave it to me with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment